History: Educational activities started under the name ‘Food Technology Programme’ in 1994–1995.
Qualification Awarded: The graduates successfully completing the programme are given the diploma of associate degree in the field of FOOD TECHNICIANSHIP.
Level of Qualification: Short Cycle
Specific Admission Requirements: Candidates should have high school diploma or equivalent and get enough points in the University Student Selection Exam.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations: In order to successfully complete all courses (for a total of 120 ECTS) in the programme, students should obtain a grade point average of at least 2.00 out of 4.00.
Profile of the Programme: The aim of the Food Technology Programme is to graduate food technicians havıng knowledge and skills in food science and technology so as to meet the requirements of food sector; havıng ability to work as an intermediary employee in the safe production, protection, packaging, storage and serving of foods, in food quality control laboratories and services.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Ability to know and to apply technologies used in food production
- Ability to know the conditions related to safe food production and to provide these conditions in its place
- Ability to have basic knowledge and experience of chemical and microbiological laboratory
- Ability to know the physical, chemical and nutritional properties of foods and to interpret the effects of these on food quality and human health
- Ability to know food quality control techniques and to evaluate the control results in terms of food legislation
- Ability to use modern techniques and calculation tools related to his/her profession
- Ability to have the consciousness of professional and ethical responsibility
- Ability to work individually and in groups
- Ability to have the consciousness of quality notions
- Ability to express his/her opinions orally or written, to have the knowledge of at least one foreign language
- Ability to use information technologies effectively
- Ability to follow improvements about his/her profession with the idea of lifelong learning
Occupational Profiles of Graduates With Examples: The graduates of this programme may be employed as food technicians in private sector, and in case of getting enough points in Civil Servant Selection Exam in public offices.
Access to Further Studies: The graduates successfully completing their education of associate degree may receive undergraduate education in Nutrition and Dietetics, Biochemistry, Food Engineering, and Chemistry departments in case of getting enough points in Degree Completion Exam.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading: Measurement and evaluation method applied for each course is defined in detail in “Individual Course Description”.
Graduation Requirements: Requirements in Qualification Requirements and Regulations section are adequate.
Mode of Study (Full-Time, Part-Time, E-learning …): Full-Time
Adress, Programme Director or Equivalent: Cesur MEHENKTAŞ, Coordinator of Food Technology Programme, Ege University Tire Kutsan Technical Vocational School of Higher Education, 35900, Tire-Izmir.
Tel: (0 232) 5128616-7125.
Facilities: There is a laboratory for students to make practice.